Life Lessons From Peyton Manning
Sunday night, millions watched quarterback Peyton Manning break Brett Favre’s record for most touchdown passes all time in NFL history. I know some of you reading this could care less about football, but let me share some things we can all learn from a man named Peyton Manning.
1. HEALTH MATTERS. Peyton Manning would have never accomplished much if he did not stay healthy. Many athletes go down early in their careers and never play again. It doesn’t matter how much talent or potential you have in this life. If you don’t stay healthy you can’t accomplish much. Peyton has managed to stay healthy mentally, physically, and spiritually, therefore he has continued to thrive. Don’t ever forget the value of being and staying healthy. If you aren’t healthy you can’t be very helpful.
2. WORK SMARTER. I feel like I have been watching Peyton Manning play football my entire life. Yet, when I realized he was only 38 I knew that I was actually born first. How has this man continued to excel at a point that the average 38 year old would have struggled to even be the team’s water boy? Manning has continued to be a student of the game and life. Wisdom teaches us we must work smarter, not just harder. Prepare and plan before you move forward. Learn how to operate with a sound mind as you know the body will decline in its abilities over the years.
3. LIVE WITH PASSION. Peyton Manning looks to be having more fun than ever playing quarterback for the Denver Broncos. I believe it’s because he plays with passion. He is driven to play His best and get the ball in the end zone. Remember, anything worth doing is worth giving your all. When you operate with passion you rise above the average and reach otherwise impossible goals. Whatever you do in this life do it all for God’s glory and give it all you have got.
4. ATTITUDE MATTERS. Many people have an attitude, but unfortunately most have the wrong kind. It’s been said that our attitude determines our altitude. You will have a very hard time finding anyone that does not like Peyton Manning. Why? Because he remains humble before God, respectful to others, and always seems to keep a level head. Many great athletes have a shaky career because their attitude stinks. Peyton’s attitude makes him a fan favorite and a person anyone can truly look up to. His attitude is just as much known as his ability to throw the football.
5. FAMILY MATTERS. Many have observed Peyton Manning’s dad and brother. Can’t you see the resemblance? They’re all winners, passionate competitors and humble men. This had to be taught and passed down from somewhere. Too often parents underestimate the importance of the home. Many people beaming with potential never get to see it due to a dysfunctional home. A person’s family can be their greatest cheerleader or their greatest hindrance towards accomplishing greatness.
Congratulations Peyton Manning on the man you have become. Both on and off the football field you have excelled. Thanks for teaching us so many priceless lessons that can be applied to our everyday life. I can promise you this. People will remember Manning’s accomplishments for years to come, but they will also never forget the rareness of his character exemplified before an out of control world.
(Philippians 3:13-14) Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.